Hypertrophic Scar Treatment
The International Keloid & Scar Treatment Center offers a combination of effective procedures designed to remove and prevent hypertrophic scars. We are the foremost provider of individualized care packages for visitors from around the globe. Patients traveling from as far away as Africa and Asia are a testament to the fact that Dr. Kenrick Spence provides the most effective treatment options for hypertrophic scar excision and reconstruction in the United States.
Dr. Kenrick Spence is known for precision plastic surgery that results in the most optimal outcome for each patient. Hypertrophic scar revision surgery requires a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon to ensure a superior result. Dr. Spence and his team have the skill and experience to help patients achieve the cosmetic result they desire.
The International Keloid & Scar Treatment Center is located in Orlando, the heart of Florida. Orlando is home to Disney, Universal Studios and many other tourist attractions. Orlando provides the ideal location for patients who require available access for travel from around the world.
Treatment Options for Hypertrophic Scars
Hypertrophic scars are raised scars that remain within the confines of the original skin incision or trauma. In addition to being raised, a hypertrophic scar can also be red in color which makes the scar even more noticeable. While some hypertrophic scars will improve on their own over time, others may need treatment to reduce the size and appearance. Dr. Spence customizes treatments for hypertrophic scars based on the specific needs of each patient. One or a combination of the following treatments may be used for the removal or prevention of hypertrophic scars.
- Laser: Laser therapy can reduce redness and improve the skin texture to minimize the appearance of hypertrophic scars. It is often used in combination with other treatments to reduce elevated scar tissue.
- Dermabrasion and steroids: Steroid injections are effective in shrinking hypertrophic scars and can be combined with dermabrasion to smooth skin and reduce elevated scar tissue.
- Compression garments: Pressure therapy using compression garments can help reduce the chance of a hypertrophic or keloid scar tissue growth after an injury, burn or surgery.
- Tension free closure: To reduce the chance of hypertrophic scarring, tension-free closure techniques are used with any surgery or incision.
- Silicone: Using silicone sheeting is an effective preventive option after surgery for incisions to reduce the chance of hypertrophic scars. It is worn 23 out of 24 hours a day for several months.
- 5FU injections: 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) injections a chemotherapy drug to reduce fibroblasts that are typical in hypertrophic scarring. 5FU injections can be used with other treatments, like cortisone or laser therapy, for excellent results.
Dr. Spence uses the latest medical technology, techniques and methods for treating and removing keloids and hypertrophic scars. In addition, he understands the best options for preventing these types of scars from developing after surgery or after an injury to the skin. In many cases, hypertrophic scarring can be prevented with the right treatment immediately after a surgery or skin injury.
Dr. Kenrick Spence is a board certified plastic surgeon who has gained extensive knowledge, skill and expertise over his 20 years in practice. Begin your journey with an in-person or virtual consultation with an expert who focuses on cosmetic and revisionary surgery at the International Keloid & Scar Treatment Center for hypertrophic scar treatment.
Contact our office today to learn more about hypertrophic scar removal under the expert care of Dr. Kenrick Spence at the International Keloid & Scar Treatment Center in Orlando, Florida.